Monday, August 17, 2015

Walking Beside a Great Man


WALKING BESIDE A GREAT MAN
By Anton Antonio
August 17, 2015

My last conversation with Senator Butz Aquino happened yesterday morning. 

At 7:16 am, I received a text message from Mai Ocampo informing me of the death of her father, former Tarlac Governor Mariano Un Ocampo III.  It was a shock for me having been very close to Governor Mar.  It took a little over ten minutes for me to gather my wits and call Mai.  At the end of our conversation, she asked me to take care of informing Senator Butz Aquino of the death of her father.  Governor Mar and Senator Butz were life-long friends.

At 7:35 am, right after talking with Mai, I called Senator Butz.  He answered after around eight rings.  He sounded hoarse but still typically commanding as usual.  His voice, however, turned a little sad after learning of the death of Governor Mar.  Then he suddenly asked a question that sounded odd… he asked, “Do you know where I am, Anton?”  Instinctively I answered, “I suppose you’re home.”  Then, in a very serious tone, he said, “No. No. No.  I’m in the hospital and I’m dying.”  I got shocked for the second time yesterday morning… the first time was Mai’s text message.  Again, I instinctively said, “Come on, Cong Butz, you can’t leave us.  There’s more left for you to do.”  He then said, “Okay, you just pray for me and, if you’re going to Tarlac, please extend my condolences to Nimia (Governor Mar’s wife) and the family.”  I answered, “Okay, no problem, I will… and I’ll see you after I return from Tarlac.”  He replied, “Hay, naku… just pray for me.”  We said the normal goodbyes on the phone… and that was my last conversation with him.  I knew why he was insisting that I prayed for him.  He often bragged about having a disciple who was a Catholic lay minister and very pious.  Considering his health condition, he probably though that my personal prayers for him will make a difference.

At around 5:00 pm today, Rissa delos Reyes (Senator Butz’ assistant) informed me that the senator died at 4:20 pm.  At that time, I was actually preparing to fetch Roenna (my wife) then proceed to the Cardinal Santos Medical Center to visit Senator Butz… as I promised yesterday.  I decided not to go to Cardinal Santos anymore and, instead, just do what he wished… prayers for him.

Butz Aquino served as a Senator of our Republic and congressman from Makati City.  The landmark laws he made, which showed his genuine love for the poor farmers and agricultural sector, were the Magna Carta for Small Farmers and the Cooperative Code of the Philippines.  As a civic leader he was responsible in founding the August Twenty One Movement (ATOM) and Bayang Nagkakaisa sa Diwa at Layunin (BANDILA).  He is best known as the “Pasimuno ng People Power” after being the first to respond and organize the civilian component of the EDSA Revolution of 1986.  “Love of country” was Senator Butz’ best attribute.

To me, very personally, Senator Butz was my mentor (having worked for him at the Senate as the Committee Secretary for Government Corporations and Public Enterprises) and friend.  To him I say, “Thank you, Senator Butz, for allowing me to walk with you in portions of your noble journey.  It was a rare privilege and honor to have worked with and for you as you selflessly served the Filipino people.  I will forever be proud to say, that there was a time in my life I was walking beside a great man.

Thoughts to promote positive action…

(Please visit, like and share Pro EARTH Crusaders on Facebook or follow me at http://antonantonio.blogspot.com/ and http://twitter.com/EarthCrusader/)


1 comment:

  1. Are you in need of a loan? Do you want to pay off your bills? Do you want to be financially stable? All you have to do is to contact us for more information on how to get started and get the loan you desire. This offer is open to all that will be able to repay back in due time. Note-that repayment time frame is negotiable and at interest rate of 3% just email us (creditloan11@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete